The Camp on Baldy Lake
The Camp on Baldy Lake, a cozy little cottage on 10 acres, provides rustic simplicity , fishing, canoeing and the tranquil charm of life in the northwoods of the Hiawatha National Forest. The Camp on Baldy Lake has a view of the water, in an isolated spot away from the hustle and bustle of the highway (but only 2 miles away). If you like camping and being on your own lake, but don't like sleeping on the ground, Camp Baldy Lake will give you the comfort of beds and convenience of gas lights without sacrificing some of the camping feel. Although this is rustic, the cottage is beautifully done in tongue and groove aspen and decorated with wildlife decor. We are not without the very basic amenities including a composting toilet and battery operated shower. This is a regular shower stall and you only need to heat lake water on the stove, mix it with cold water to your desired temperature and then it is drawn up via a battery operated pump into the shower stall. The kitchen includes gas range and refrigerator. No electricity, no carpeting, so bring your slippers! You will need to bring your own drinking water as well.
The screened in porch offers outdoor furniture for reading, visiting and watching the wildlife while keeping the mosquitoes out! :) You might prefer to take a walk on the old two tracks that meet up with hiking trails or take your 4 wheeler for a ride. Jump in the fishing boat or canoe, and try for the elusive black crappie, bluegill, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, perch, northern pike, sunfish or rock bass.
If you’re ready for more, you’re only 12 miles from Pictured Rocks and all our beautiful Munising area has to offer. Miles of hiking trails; many, many waterfalls; Pictured Rocks Boat Cruises, hand dipped ice cream, don't worry if you don't catch any fish, just go to Munising to our local fisheries and buy some fresh Lake Trout or White Fish. Even us locals sneak in there once in awhile! :)
Located in the Hiawatha National Forest, you can fish, canoe, jump in for a "rustic" swim (soft bottom), read, nap, listen to wildlife, watch wildlife, grill your dinner, listen and dance to the radio, play a board game, on site. There are a few sandy spot around the lake where you can swim.
Nearby you can go hiking and biking (trails from door), golfing, horseback riding, antiquing, visit our sugar sand beaches and swim in Lake Superior's pristine waters, go to Music in the park, Farmers Market, Pictured Rocks cruises, Grand Island Ferry and Tours, water ski and jet ski.
We are about 2 hours west of Mackinac Bridge and 60 minutes east of Marquette.
- Available from May through October
- See the rates page for the rental schedule
- Check-in 5 P.M.
- Check-out 10:00 A.M.
- NO smoking property
- 8 guests maximum in the cottage
- Guest bedroom with a queen bed
- Spacious loft has 2 queen beds and 2 twin beds
- Bath towels, 1 per person
- Cell phones are spotty in this area
- Laundromat down the road
- Board games and books
- Full kitchen including gas refrigerator, gas range, coffee perker, camp toaster, pots & pans, dishes, utensils, and more! "Camp style" shower
- Composting toilet
- No Tv to disturb your time of relaxation
- Fire pit
- Charcoal grill
- A starter of paper products and soaps are provided for your convenience.
- Camp on Baldy Lake is a quiet, peaceful getaway on a beautiful lake. Fishing is good and you might catch black crappie, bluegill, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, perch, northern pike, sunfish and rock bass!
- Although this is more of a fishing lake, there are a few sandy spots around the lake where you can take the boats to and go for a swim.
- Close to Munising and Pictured Rocks area.
- Dock on the lake and 14' fishing boat, canoe and paddle boat included
- Hear the Loons!
- Hiking trails nearby and country roads all over
- Public boat launch if you want to bring your own boat
- Midway General Store is within 3 miles for convenience items, fishing license and tackle, hand dipped ice cream, laundromat and showers!
- You will have everything you need here to have a restful vacation.
- You can do all of your cooking here, but if you feel like a night out, ask us about the restaurant in the woods!
- Travel the country roads.
- 4 wheelers are welcome!
- Hunters and fisher people are welcome!
- We are located in Alger County. Nearby counties are Schoolcraft (real close), and Delta, so please contact DNR for ATV riding rules.